Aims of group:
- Improving turn taking behaviour and conflict resolution
- Develop collaborative play skills
- Tackle topics such as developing friendships, using empathy, personal space, engaging in conversations
- Increase emotional understanding and ability to describe and express emotions
- Develop team work and collaborative problem solving
- Increased ability to regulate arousal and emotion levels
The group will use multi-sensory activities to engage the students, such as physical activities (movement, obstacle courses, problem solving). Each week will have a set structure and specific social skill focus (e.g. turn taking) while being supported by sensory processing and gross motor skills. Strategies to address social skills will include problem based games, role play, worksheets and whole group exercises that will aim to have a Social and Sensory focus.
Through the incorporation of sensory and motor activities, the group is more than just a social skills group and involves a number of elements addressed in individual OT sessions at OTFC. This is a unique opportunity for children and those involved will have a great opportunity to further their social skill and experiences.